A vet was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child’s teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside, the dog’s intestines were black and the tissue was dead. The dog will die as no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.
This was not an obstruction. So she called the manufacturer of the teddy bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children’s toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to become a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child’s toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don’t expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys…huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know some dogs demolish stuffed toys.
So do not give or buy your dog any children’s stuffed animals… some people get them at goodwill etc. It is a horrible death the way she described it and one that can be avoided. Please pass this info along to any dog lovers.