We are very happy to announce some of the new programs you will be able to find at 4 Paws this Spring!
- Thinking about Getting a Dog?: Let us help you on your search for the perfect companion for you. We have a few different programs that can help you as much or as little as you want. It is very important that you get a dog that is going to match what you want him/her to do with you. Too often I get people who have bulldogs and they want them to go on hikes or do agility or have Border Collies and they want them to be couch potatoes.
- Match Breed to Owner: FREE: In this FREE consultation we will sit down and discuss what you like as far as looks, activities you want to do with your dog, who will be in the dog’s life, and who may end up being in the dog’s life. We will then narrow it down to a few breeds and go from there to find the best breed that is cohesive with your lifestyle. After we find a breed, we will assist in finding the appropriate breeder or rescue for you.
- Puppy Consultations/Choosing a puppy: Now that you have picked a breeder, let us help you pick the puppy that will best fit into your life. When picking a puppy we tend to pick the one that comes over to us first, is the most adventurous, is the smallest, biggest, first born, or the one shivering alone in the corner. None of those are worthy reasons to choose a puppy; we want to look at temperament. Allow us to help by being that impartial voice that helps you pick the correct one for you.**
- Introduction to Grooming and Hygiene: This program will allow your puppy to acclimate to the grooming process making he/she much more comfortable and stress free when it comes time! We will desensitize the nail trim process, bathing, jumping onto grooming tables, jumping into tubs, being comfortable around clippers and scissors! An early start on these things allow your puppy to be comfortable and stress free!
- Dog Adoption/Rescue Private Consultation: Now that you have decided to rescue a dog and you know what you are looking for, let us help you pick the puppy/dog that will best fit into your life. When picking a puppy/dog at a rescue or pound, we tend to pick the one that comes over to us first, is the most adventures, is the smallest, biggest, quietest, or the one shivering in the corner. None of those are not good reasons to pick a puppy/dog; we want to look at temperament. Allow us to help by being that impartial voice that helps you picking the correct on for you.**
- Pre Arrival Preparation – Getting set up before you bring your new dog home: So you have a new dog coming home soon. Allow us to help you have everything ready so you can start their new life with you off on the right foot. We want to set them up for success from day one. The more preparation we do before the dog comes home, the fewer “bad” behaviors we have to deal with later.
- Pre Puppy dog handling/work with another dog that knows their stuff: Try training before you have a dog; watch a class and step into it to give it a try. Interested in seeing what you can look forward to from your training here at 4 Paws? Well come in and give it a try with a dog that knows the ropes. Have fun while you get to see how all your hard work with your new puppy/dog will pay off.
PRE TRAINING FOUNDATION:
- Things to work on before you and your dog come to class
- Games that Lead to Good Obedience Behaviors
- BODY LANGUAGE CLASS: I have designed this class to do what I think is one of the leading causes of dog altercations with people and other dogs. Most people have no idea how to spot or read the body language dogs use to communicate. Not heeding to these signs and signals is, in my opinion, the leading cause of people getting bit and dogs getting into fights. If people would take the time to learn and understand the simple language that dogs use to communicate their feelings and intentions we would have a drastic reduction in injury causing aggression. Understanding calming, warning, stimulation, and aggression sings and signal along with some smart interaction guidelines could greatly reduce unwanted behavior in real life situations.
- GET YOUR DOG READY FOR YOUR BABY: Having a baby is a life changing experience for any couple. However we tend to forget what a life changing experience it can be for our dogs. Sign up for this class and learn how to get your dog ready for the transition before it happens and you don’t have the time to help him/her through it. You will also learn how to start setting up guide lines and rules that will make everyone’s life easier.
- PLAY GAMES LIKE TUG, FETCH, THROUGH… WITH YOUR DOG: Not only are these games good bonding time and great excursive for our dogs but they can also be used as a reward and a tool to teach some very important and possibly lifesaving skills. Come in and learn how to play the games in a way that will make them enjoyable for both you and your dog and create an understanding of the game that will allow you to use it as an effective reward. Then learn how to teach control when in pray drive which you will all like when your dog is chasing that pesky squirrel towards the road.
- APPROPRIATE AND EFFECTIVE SOCIALIZATION: In this class you will learn how to get the best of both worlds, a dog that is social with other dogs and people but who also knows that you are the best thing in the world. Come to this class and learn how to socialize so that you get a social dog, not an overly social and out of control dog. You will also learn why it is good to do different types of socialization and how to balance them so you get what you are looking for out of your dog.
- FIX COMP ISSUES: Have a dog that is close to being trial ready but you just can’t fix that one or two pesky issues that keep you from qualifying? Well we can help. The 4 paws training system is designed to teach (and fix) all obedience behaviors by breaking down each behavior into is smallest parts (way more parts than most trainers), getting perfection in each step and then assembling all the parts to get the finished behaviors. We use motivational methods and a multiple marker system in order to clearly communicate how your dog is doing every step of the way allowing us to get the best results for every handler/dog team.
- TAKING IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL: The 4 Paws training system is designed to teach (and fix) all obedience behaviors by breaking down each behavior into is smallest parts , getting perfection in each step and then assembling all the parts to get the finished behaviors. We use motivational methods and a multiple marker system in order to clearly communicate how your dog is doing every step of the way allowing us to get the best results for every handler/dog team. You will learn HOW TO MAKE MARKERS WORK FOR YOU AND BE CLEAR FOR YOUR DOG, HEELING, JUMPS, RECALL/FINNISH, RETRIEVE, SCENT DSCRIMINATION, FIGURE EIGHT, LONG DOWN, LONG SIT, STAND FOR EXAM, SIGNAL EXERCISE, DIRECTED RETREVE, MOVING STAND, DIRECTED JUMP, DOWN ON RECALL, AND BROAD JUMP. Come and see the difference the 4 Paws system can make for you and your dog
- FIELD TRIPS FOR INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED STUDENTS
- CGC RUNTHROUGHS
*That being said picking out a puppy/dog is not an exact science.