4 Paws Academy is pleased to announce the formal release of our ‘Tread Package’. Our Tread Package will teach your dog the fundamentals of running on a treadmill.
Why teach a dog how to run on the treadmill – an excellent question with plenty of answers. In the wild, dogs spend 75% of their day exercising by tracking, hunting, scavenging, and covering great distances in the pursuit of food. Unfortunately, providing that much exercise for a dog takes a lot of time and energy that not all of us can feasibly provide in a normal day.
A few benefits of teaching your dog how to run on a treadmill are:
- You do not have to go for walks when the weather is too harsh, or you just don’t have the time that day.
- We teach on a regular treadmill made for people. It is perfectly safe, and better yet if you have one at home your dog will be willing to run on it after completing our ‘Tread Pack’
- The dog is exercised both physically and mentally. This means that he or she does not simply run in one spot, bored. As the body constantly works, the mind does the same. This can lead to fewer disturbances at home caused by boredom and excess energy merely by running on the treadmill!
- Dogs of all energy levels love to run. High and low energy level dogs love the mental and physical stimulation provided by the treadmill. Just because your dog may not be off-the-wall does not necessarily mean he or she should not love to run on the treadmill!
- If your dog is overweight, the treadmill serves as an excellent catalyst in the battle against unhealthy fat! Just like humans, with proper diet and ample exercise dogs can also slim down to a healthier, happier weight.
Our ‘Tread Pack’ consists of six days of Day School focusing on learning to love and be proficient on the tread mill at a total cost of $150. These six days do not have to be used consecutively; they can be used at your discretion. However, for dogs just learning, we do suggest scheduling no more than a week apart so your dog can have the best possible chance at retaining the information and learning as fast as possible!
After the initial six days of the ‘Tread Pack’ are complete, you have the option to give your dog as much time on the treadmill as you would like for a fee of $3/half hour. It can be used in conjunction with regular day school or day care after the required ‘Tread Pack’ is complete.
Please remember the treadmill is not meant as a replacement for off the property exercise but instead a supplement to an already exciting exercise regime.